Jannik Sinner's ex-physical trainer finally breaks his silence on doping saga and makes major revelation

https://www.tennis365.com/content/uploads/2025/04/Umberto-Ferrara-Jannik-Sinner.jpg

Jannik Sinner’s former physical trainer Umberto Ferrara has shed further light on the Italian star’s doping saga as he spoke for the first time since he was fired over his role in the positive tests.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) announced in February that Sinner had been suspended from tennis for three months for failing two doping tests in March 2024.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) announced in August that Sinner would not serve a ban as he carried "no fault or negligence" after testing positive for the anabolic steroid clostebol during and after last year's Indian Wells Masters.

An independent tribunal accepted Sinner's explanation that the substance had entered his body when receiving a massage from his former physio, Giacomo Naldi, who had used a spray containing the steroid to treat a cut on his finger.

However, WADA appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the verdict in September as they sought to impose a ban of between one and two years on the world No 1.

The appeal was set to be heard at CAS in April, but WADA confirmed it had reached an agreement with Sinner's legal team for the Italian to serve a suspension from February 9 to May 4. Following the ITIA’s ruling in August, Sinner parted ways with both Ferrara and Naldi as he pointed to the pair’s “mistakes.”

"I want to start with [saying] that they have been a huge part of my career," the 23-year-old said.

"We made an incredible job, bringing a lot of success and then having a great team behind me. Now, because of these mistakes, I'm not feeling that confident to continue with them. "I was struggling a lot in the last months. Now I was waiting for the result, and now I just need some clean air."

In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Ferrara explained he uses the medication containing clostebol and blamed Naldi for the mistake that led to Sinner’s positive tests.

“I have been using it for years as prescribed by a specialist as a support drug for a chronic disease,” Ferrara said. “I was perfectly aware of the ban and I have always kept it with the utmost caution, in my personal beauty case. I could have needed it for my pathology and to have it available, being abroad.

ATP Tour News

Exclusive: Jannik Sinner's rivals warned Italian is 'going to play well' on return from suspension

Tennis rocked by fresh row as Djokovic, Sinner, Alcaraz, Sabalenka, Swiatek demand more money

“I didn’t give anything to Naldi, I suggested using it because he had a cut on his finger that wouldn’t heal and made his job difficult. “I was very clear in communicating to Naldi the nature of the product and the need for it not to come into contact with Jannik for any reason.

“In fact, I allowed its use only inside my personal bathroom. Naldi didn’t deny having been informed, but said he didn’t remember.” The Italian, who is now working with Matteo Berrettini, also revealed his reaction to the news of Sinner failing doping tests.

“Disbelief and amazement. Hearing about clostebol, the connection with Trofodermin (the medication) was immediate,” he said. “In a few hours, we reconstructed the steps that led to Jannik’s contamination and I provided evidence of the purchase of the spray at a pharmacy in Bologna.”

Ferrara added: “With hindsight, it’s easy to say that I wouldn’t do the same things again. I certainly wouldn’t rely on the behaviour of others. “I was hurt by the superficiality, sometimes aggravated by bad faith, with which many people treated my position in the affair.”

The physical trainer also praised Sinner for the way he has dealt with the ordeal. “Despite his 23 years, he has shown an extraordinary maturity in dealing with the situation, in my opinion supported by the correct belief of being right,” Ferrara said.

“He has a special work ethic and dedication, this approach leads him to continually raise the bar. Working with Jannik is rewarding and stimulating. “The last time we saw each other was in Doha and we said goodbye. I was very saddened by the end of the relationship, but I was aware that it could be one of the possible epilogues.”

READ NEXT: Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek failed drug tests – inside story on tennis anti-doping programme

The post Jannik Sinner’s ex-physical trainer finally breaks his silence on doping saga and makes major revelation appeared first on Tennis365.

×